For the author, the PO must perform:
- Articulate the product vision to the team
- Define the goals at the beginning of every sprint
- Tell the story behind each user story so that the development team understands what is required. So the PO must understand the end user requirements.
- Define or help define the user story acceptance criteria so the team knows when they are DONE
- Be able to prioritize the stories and be able to negotiate/collaborate on priorities with the team. Negotiate priorities occurs when after taking the top priorities off the backlog; there may be some remaining capacity that the next highest priority story won’t fit in to. So in those cases, a lower priority feature could be picked.
- Must be available at all inspect and adapt points to answer questions and help guide the team empirically
On the other side, the PM must perform:
- Defining the marketing strategies and outbound marketing communications
- Pricing strategies
- Understanding the positioning of the product in the market place
- Competitive analysis
For me, the PO mainly responsibilities are the ones that highlighted. What do you think about them?